Saturday, February 3, 2007

Unemployment and What To Do With It

I start out my blog not by telling you who I am, where I come from and where I'm going. No, I start out by telling you a few things I've learned over the past few weeks about being unemployed. What I've learned isn't exactly earth-shattering news but just insights while I'm on this side of the Employment Line:
  • Unemployment statistics may read 4% but if you're one of the 4%, it's 100%.
  • Employers are on a much different time frame than those looking for work.
  • Why do counselors suggest that you don't "badmouth" previous employers when many times, it was the employer's fault that you lost your job?
  • Why is it necessary that you are fired before you draw unemployment? It seems it should be the other way around.
  • The employed do not understand the unemployed and how deflating it can be to be unemployed. I know. I didn't.
  • Contract recruiters rarely respond either way to you if you don't fit what they need. Don't expect them to.
  • Smile. You never know when someone else is in worse shape than you. It just may brighten their day.
  • Don't be afraid to ask someone why they got fired. They probably won't get a chance when to tell the full story in a job interview.

In any event, welcome to Marshmallow Tree Land! I'll have more thoughts on this and other subjects as time goes on...imagine that.

Continue tweaking that resume.

No comments: